13262538

My husband is British National, he was married to British

Customer Question

My husband is British National, he was married to British National , they both got divorced under UAE law as they both reside there at that time. We got married under Sharia law and we have marriage certificate. We registered the marriage in Egyptian Embassy as well. Five years later my ex-husband wife contacted him to obtain his signature of decree absolute to formalise her divorce in UK as she wanted to get married in Uk and been told that her divorce has to be recognised there first. Does this mean my marriage is void in UK ?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - who told her that the divorce was not legal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In England they told her that her divorce will need to be recognised and her solicitor advised her that it is easier to re-obtain the divorce directly as it is easier and faster process than getting document form outside UK to be recognised. UK does not have Jurisdiction in UAE and vice versa.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

In fact that is not correct as there is case law confirming that the Uk does recognize a UAE divorce

Lachaux and Lachaux [2017] EWHC 38

That being the case your marriage was indeed legal

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details