James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have lived with my girl friend for 5 years, in the last 3

Customer Question

i have lived with my girl friend for 5 years , in the last 3 years she has created a business that is very successful there by creating a very valuable asset , i have helped her with support, design ideas without payment . we now live in new house where we pay half each to mortgage etc. I am now being asked by her parents to sign a co habiting agreement as we are not married ,we do have baby on the way . I am also being asked to waive any right , to any part of my girlfriends wealth or business . I am also being asked to sign a confidentiality agreement .
Do i have rights to claim any part of the above i.e wealth , business etc . I have copyright on designs for logo etc and have never charged for the design work?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
is my reply ready yet ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. Is the business a limited company? Who bought the house and paid the deposit? Did your girlfriend ever suggest you would own part of the business? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the mortgage in her name , i paid half deposit , i pay half mortgage , we have declaration of trust in place for house .my girlfriend did not say i would own part of business ,i do not believe it is ltd company , what would the difference be if a ltd company
Expert:  Alex J. replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. Does the declaration of trust give you an interest in the property? If it was a limited company it may be easier to claim shares in it - what does the business actually do? Kind regards AJ