James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

A mobile home has been positioned next to my boundary with

Customer Question

A mobile home has been positioned next to my boundary with the windows looking directly into my garden. The land is a building site and this is the second mobile home which has been placed on the land. Are my rights to privacy and family life being violated?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

Hello for clarification - do you know who owns this land?

how long have you lived there and has the land always been a building site?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know who owns the land. I have lived next door to this open field for 32 years. The owner then got planning permission for 2 semi's and moved in using the first mobile home. The build was started a year after the permission was given and has now been going on for 12 months.The footings have not yet been completed and A SECOND MOBILE HOME HAS BEEN BROUGHT IN AND PLACED ADJACENT TO OUR FENCE.

It’s unlikely that they are going to need planning consent for the mobile home because there is an exemption if it’s being used for accommodation whilst properties being built.

Whilst there may be a planning restriction preventing windows overlooking your property, that comes down to the planning for the building.

Any house which is built next to another house as the situation where each property can look into the other person’s property. For example, from my bedroom windows I can look into next-door neighbour’s garden and vice versa.

Whilst this may block your view, legally, there is no right to view although it would be a consideration for planning purposes if it was a building.

I’m sorry to say I can’t see that this is a breach of your right to privacy or family life. Sorry.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.