How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 72944
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband has a huge legal aid contribution bill to pay,

Customer Question

My husband has a huge legal aid contribution bill to pay , can legal aid take my share of assets as I had to complete and sign the leagal aid application form as married . If I was to divorce him as I no longer think I can be marrried to him would that protect my share of assets . He is currently serving his sentence and we are selling a house jointly owned to pay off his proceeds of crime order
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am happy to wait
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you sure this isn't a POCA amount ? So it protects from the default sentence?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, poca amount is 104000 and legal aid bill is 158000 his assets total 104000
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Your share in the property should be ringfenced.

They may force a sale of the property to release his share though which is not desirable.

That wouldn't change even if you divorced him.

The only solution would be for him to pay in full but I don't suppose he is in a position to do that.

However, they shouldn't lay hands upon your funds.

Can I clarify anything for you?