12826847

My husband has a huge legal aid contribution bill to pay,

Customer Question

My husband has a huge legal aid contribution bill to pay , can legal aid take my share of assets as I had to complete and sign the leagal aid application form as married . If I was to divorce him as I no longer think I can be marrried to him would that protect my share of assets . He is currently serving his sentence and we are selling a house jointly owned to pay off his proceeds of crime order
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am happy to wait
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you sure this isn't a POCA amount ? So it protects from the default sentence?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, poca amount is 104000 and legal aid bill is 158000 his assets total 104000
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Your share in the property should be ringfenced.

They may force a sale of the property to release his share though which is not desirable.

That wouldn't change even if you divorced him.

The only solution would be for him to pay in full but I don't suppose he is in a position to do that.

However, they shouldn't lay hands upon your funds.