MARCUS Malin
MARCUS Malin,
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
66642005

I've put all my money, incl. my inheritance in my marriage,

Customer Question

I've put all my money, incl. my inheritance in my marriage, if I divorce my husband now, is there any way I can secure part of his inheritance to come?
Expert:  MARCUS Malin replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is*****

How much was the inheritance and when was it put into the marriage.

Also what is the approximate value of the available assets.

How long have you been married and are there any dependant children.

The general principle is that inheritances should be ringfenced and go back to the party who introduced it. However if the inherited are needed to meet financial needs then it can be called upon.

Marcus

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
we've been married for 25 years. My inheritance money was not a lot, and went against the mortgage, it wasn't ringfenced. Our children are 21 and 19. I just feel that I should benefit from his inheritance, as I've given up my career to care for our children. He is likely to inherit a million or so.

The starting point is a 50/50 however quite often there is a departure from equality depending on needs. The reality is that you are likely to have similar housing needs. However if your incomes are different then there would be good reason to depart from an equal division in any event regards ***** ***** i.e your inheritance.

If the above does not apply due to similar incomes then you can claim your inheritance back before an equal division if it would provide your husband to meet his housing needs.

At first blush it is diffucult to give you a precise answer without all relevant information being available but it is possible to claim your inheritance back as set out above.

I hope you received my answer.

If you require any clarification please do not hesitate to ask.

I would ask you to kindly provide feedback.

Marcus

Expert:  MARCUS Malin replied 16 days ago.

If you require any clarification on my answer please do not hesitate to ask.
Can I kindly ask you to provide feedback.
Marcus

Expert:  MARCUS Malin replied 15 days ago.

I would so very much appreciate you providing feedback to enable me to get credit for my answer.

If you want clarification then please do not hesitate to ask.

Marcus