How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12079
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have been living with my partner for 14 years and we have

Customer Question

hi i have been living with my partner for 14 years and we have a child together who is 13 years old. My partner is a business man and own properties and a business. I only want to know whether im entitled to live in one of his properties for free until the child is 18. I didnt pay the morgages and im not on any on the deeds o dont think so.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Hello for clarification - where are you living at the moment?

are you looking to seperate from your partner officially?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im still at his property number 1 we are separating officially we have an agreement that i will go and live at the property number 2 with our child ( he owns it both). However he wants me to pay rent for it i just need to find out am eligible for half of the property or can i live there for free etc.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im fine at talking
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you finished
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello anyone there
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

This is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore, there may be an inevitable delay getting back to you as we have clients and other users and travelling et cetera.

You have a dependent child and your both under a duty to provide a home for dependent children until aged 18.

If the property that you live in has provided that whole, then you can claim the right to live in it to provide a home for the child for of the 5 years but not for free.

You will be responsible for paying the amount of the mortgage if your name is ***** ***** the property or an occupational rent.

If your name is ***** ***** property, and there is no mortgage, you would be liable for an occupational rent in respect of your occupation of his half of the property

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.