How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35577
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a court order for global maintenance. My ex husband

Customer Question

I have a court order for global maintenance. My ex husband has written to me saying he is going to stop paying this but his circumstances have not changed, if anything got better for him. What can I do if he does?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are your children and how much does your ex earn?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi ClareMy children are now 21, 19 and 16. 2 are at university and do not see their father at all, their choice and something I have tried to address. The youngest is at school and lives full time with me.The order is also a joint lives order.I know he has every right to changed the amount but due to it being a court order I thought he had to apply to courts for a variation. He should also increase it in line with RPI which he has never done.He earns in excess of £200k a year and has 4 properties which he rents.I just need to know what I do if he just stops payments.Kindest regards.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

He does indeed have to apply for a variation 9although from what you have said it seems unlikely that he would get one!)

If he stops or reduces the payment then you can apply to enforce the arrears using the form here

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details