How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1729
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

I am paying a child maintenance - £460 a month for my

Customer Question

I am paying a child maintenance - £460 a month for my 17-year-old son. He has left to live with his father 4 years ago. Prior to this, he lived with me for 8 years with no financial input from my ex for 3 years and then he paid £200 with some months nil at all. I am writing because I struggle to make these payments - I have other 2 children aged 4 and 7, my husband is currently unemployed and studying abroad requiring some substinence money. I have credit cards debts and this is getting worse every month. My ex-husband has another 8-year-old son but he has a good income, too. He works as an associated professor at the London Bart’s Institute. His wife is also in full-time employment. My question whether there is a way to appeal against the amount of money I have to pay as I can’t cope financially...Thank you. I would appreciate any help or advice. With Best Wishes, Helena
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 6 months ago.

Hello, there is a really helpful fact sheet here which explains the circumstances in which you can request a variation of child maintenance:

Expert:  Peter Collins replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, did the link assist, and was there anything else I can help with, please? Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Peter, the link has helped. I don’t think I can appeal. Helena
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 6 months ago.

Is the maintenance arranged through the child maintenance service? It's just that it my be helpful to contact them to see what their view is. Peter