How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WAQAR NOOR Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 493
Experience:  Director / Principal Solicitor at WIN Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
WAQAR NOOR is online now

My partner wants a baby but l cannot give her one ... if she

Customer Question

My partner wants a baby but l cannot give her one ... if she had one by artificial insemination would l be financially responsible if we ever split up
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am qualified Solicitor with over 19 Years experience in the UK.
Does you partner intend to go to a Licenced Clinic?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 6 months ago.

Will the Sperm come form an unknown Donor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it will
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 6 months ago.

I can best advise you over the telephone, as such I will send you an invite kept at a low cost of £10,00 for a live call now. Please accept the invite,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry payed. My money and happy to continue as we are
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 6 months ago.


I was in Court this morning, but from the information you have provided above, namely that you will be using an Unknown Donor at a Licensed UK Clinic, then, as her Partner, you will be the Legal Father of and Child and, therefore, responsible.

There are some criteria for this, however:

  1. You need to give your consent and sign the appropriate forms, giving the same, at the Clinic
  2. The Clinic needs to be Licensed and in the UK
  3. The Sperm Donor needs to have signed their forms as “Sperm Donor” and not as the Mother’s Partner

Essentially, the Clinic needs to have treated you as a "Couple", throughout, and ensured that all their procedures were followed correctly (and that you were given the full information and advice surrounding Paternity etc).

If all of these criteria are met, then, whether you are a married couple or not, you will be the Legal Father of the Child and have Parental & Financial Responsibility.

It should be noted that you can both, once you have both signed to give Consent, give “Notice” to withdraw your consent/agreement to you being the Legal Father but this must be in writing and signed by the relevant Party, prior to any resulting Child. But my understanding is this must be don’t before implantation.

The only way you could not be held financially responsible is if you were not involved at all with the process or if your Partner went ahead without your knowledge.

I trust this assists and I wish you the best of luck in this next stage of your life together.

Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

Many thanks.