How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35503
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My daughter has a 5 yr old girl with het ex they were never

This answer was rated:

hi my daughter has a 5 yr old girl with het ex they were never married can she put her surname on the birth certificate after 2 yrs separated x

Can you explain your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my granddaughter name has her dad last name but my daughter who were not married when had her wants to put her last name on birth certificate as GRANDDAUGHTER last name to make it easier for traveling .so GRANDDAUGHTER name for hear say would be ***** ***** instead of Kelly gallaghar and wondered if can do this without her ex permission or need to go through court

I am afraid that if the ex partner's name is ***** ***** birth certificate then she will need either his permission to change the surname or the court's permission. Happy to discuss further and please rate 5 stars for my time.

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you