Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My son has finished his college plumbing course in June and

Customer Question

My son has finished his college plumbing course in June and is no looking for work he is 19. As part of our financial settlement we agreed I would stop maintence payments when he finished full time education so I stopped paying in June but my wife has applied to the CMS for maintence.
Does she have a valid claim
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 months ago.

Let me see if I can help. The CMS can arrange maintenance for a parent with day-to-day care of a child known as a qualifying child.

To be a qualifying child, a child must be:

• under 16, or
  • under 20 if they are in full-time non-advanced education, or
  • you’re still entitled to Child Benefit for them.

On the basis that your son is no longer in full time education and he is not 19 then she will not be eligible to purse a claim. I hope this helps and please rate 5 stars

Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can u pls clarify as he is 19 but not in full time education can she claim on that basis

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. Your Expert will not be paid until you rate the answer. If the stars are grayed out or you cannot click on the stars to rate your experience, reply to your Expert and let them know so they can adjust your question and allow you to rate.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.