How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4012
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have been married almost 4 years, the house is in husbands

This answer was rated:

I have been married almost 4 years, the house is in husbands name, he says i can live in the house as long as I live but i am not on the title deeds, I have contributed thousands to the house, am I entitled to anything if we get divorced?Regards

Hello, thank you for the question

just because your husband's name is ***** ***** deeds and not yours does not mean the court will simply give him the house. The court takes in to account a number of factors when assessing the financial needs of each parties and the settlement.

These include:

Age of the parties, length of marriage, lifestyle accustomed to, earning capacity of each party, assets and liabilities, any children involved, your financial contributions and more.

The court will look at your financial needs and the house is classed as a matrimonial asset, so it included in the "pot" of assets when it comes to the court deciding who needs what.

If you can advise further in relation to your circumstances, I can provide more accurate advise but for the time being, I can say that the court will not simply give him the house.

I hope this helps. If you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** needed to know that i will not be penniless if I decide to leave. He also owns another property which he bought just before we were married and also has his own business. I have contributed thousands of pounds to our joint account for holidays and, food shopping and all other things as all the utility bills and mortagate is in his name but I basically pay £1000 per month to contribute to the household.

Hi, you won't be penniless - his other property would also be taken in to account too.

Your contributions would be taken in to account. The next step would be if you decided to leave, to petition for divorce based on one of the grounds (adultery / unreasonable behaviour). The other grounds are separation by consent, separation without consent and desertion which wouldn't apply here.

The other option is to go down the judicial separation route but this means you remain married although the finances can be dealt with by the court in judicial separation so could be something to think about.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thak you, that sets my mind at rest, I need to speak with him now then decide what we will do.

No problem - let me know if I can help further and I am grateful if you could accept the answer / give me a star rating where Just Answer will credit me for helping you today

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you