Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My Nephew is denying not allowing his mother to see her baby

My Nephew is denying not allowing his mother to see her baby granddaughter. Is there any help I and the rest of the family can give by way of writing to him. His behaviour is causing my sister considerable distress and illness.

Hi William, thanks for your question, I can assist you with this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks, I'll be able to appreciate better when I see your answer.
BillW
***** *****

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that grandparents do not have an automatic right to contact with their grandchildren. Family courts do recognise the invaluable role that grandparents have to play in their grandchildrens lives and it is very rare that the court would refuse a grandparent access to grandchildren unless there is evidence of abuse or violence. If it were to go legal, your sister would have to apply to court for permission to apply for a contact order.

The first step to is to try, as you suggest, and open the lines of communication. Your nephew may feel he has good reason for denying contact between his daughter and mother. As a family the best thing you can do is try and mediate between them first and foremost. If that doesnt work, then perhaps seek professional family mediation. I would recommend this before taking this to a court. By doing that, it could cause serious and irreparable harm to their relationship.

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If you have any other questions arising from this, please do ask.

If not, dont forget to acccept/approve my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks Karate, I can take it from here in light of your reply. I have to say the family will be disappointed that grandparents have no right in law here. Still, short of uncle giving grown man (I don't think so) nephew a sound clip under his chin, I'll start with a stern letter.
I'll go back to the top now to rate your help highly.
Huge thanks,
BILLW
***** *****