How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1305
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

My Nephew is denying not allowing his mother to see her baby

This answer was rated:

My Nephew is denying not allowing his mother to see her baby granddaughter. Is there any help I and the rest of the family can give by way of writing to him. His behaviour is causing my sister considerable distress and illness.

Hi William, thanks for your question, I can assist you with this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks, I'll be able to appreciate better when I see your answer.
***** *****

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that grandparents do not have an automatic right to contact with their grandchildren. Family courts do recognise the invaluable role that grandparents have to play in their grandchildrens lives and it is very rare that the court would refuse a grandparent access to grandchildren unless there is evidence of abuse or violence. If it were to go legal, your sister would have to apply to court for permission to apply for a contact order.

The first step to is to try, as you suggest, and open the lines of communication. Your nephew may feel he has good reason for denying contact between his daughter and mother. As a family the best thing you can do is try and mediate between them first and foremost. If that doesnt work, then perhaps seek professional family mediation. I would recommend this before taking this to a court. By doing that, it could cause serious and irreparable harm to their relationship.

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If you have any other questions arising from this, please do ask.

If not, dont forget to acccept/approve my answer.

Thank you.

Kasare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks Karate, I can take it from here in light of your reply. I have to say the family will be disappointed that grandparents have no right in law here. Still, short of uncle giving grown man (I don't think so) nephew a sound clip under his chin, I'll start with a stern letter.
I'll go back to the top now to rate your help highly.
Huge thanks,
***** *****