How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARCUS Malin Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2531
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MARCUS Malin is online now

I am splitting from my boyfriend We own our home together I

This answer was rated:

I am splitting from my boyfriend
We own our home together
I have taken out my furniture
But he says half of this is his?
My parents can prove they bought it
Is he entitled to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also will not agree to sell the house although he cannot afford the mortgage!
He also owes me £5000 which I loaned him to buy a car. Now he refuses to pay it back!
I am also frightened of him as he is violent and threatening !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not taken any of his belongings only what was bought for me.
I am not living at the property but he is I obviously pay the mortgage do I have to pay an y of the bills as I now live back at my parents house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have photographs of the bruises he has caused

Hello, my name is*****

Firstly you do not need to continue to pay anything towards the house although if he does not pay it then it would be a default against your name.

If he cannot both buy out your interest and release your name from the mortgage then you can force the sale. Unless he has the care of a young child then he would have no defence.

As for contents the law is strict. Who ever paid for them is the owner unless it was a gift. You mentioned that your parents paid for many items. I presume these were gifts. If so then the owner depends on who they were gifted to.

I am sorry you have had a tough time. But stay strong and get what you are entitled to.

Thank you.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I still have to pay the mortgage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither of us have children
What about the 5000 pound loan?


As for the £5k loan you can recover this through the small claims court on the basis that you can demonstrate it was indeed a loan.

No you do not need to pay the mortgage.

Do you have any other questions.

I am sorry you were unhappy with my answer. Can I ask why?

Thank you.

Marcus .

MARCUS Malin and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you