Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My partners granddaughter has been taken away after an EPO

My partners granddaughter has been taken away after an EPO was made yesterday at 16.50. This was after a risk assessment of her daughters partner. No paperwork apart from a court order and they took the granddaughter 2 hours after the EPO.
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Such as?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: The court was in Worthing but she lives in Hastings. The only paper was the Court Order.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know ...sorry. I know the daughter was only told on Friday about the hearing and it wasn't mentioned that it was about custody.

What is your question

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
What is the legal position can the Council act so quickly without any notification?

An EPO is an emergency protection order and as such does allow the LA to act quickly where there is an issue of significant risk to a child. I would suggest that if you are able you contact the LA and indicate that the child is your priority and you would be happy to let the child live with you whilst the LA continue its investigation.