How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3051
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Assistant: How can I help? Broke up with my partner a number

This answer was rated:

Hey there!
Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Broke up with my partner a number of months ago and now looking for advice how I can secure days with them etc
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coleraine, Northern Ireland
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as of yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should have wrote. Secure days with my 2 boys.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to assist you.

How often do you see your boys at the minute?

How old are they?
And what are you seeking if different from what you have currently?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Peter. Basically I see them on a Saturday between 9.30 and 3. I would possibly like to to see them on a Sunday for a few hours as well. Last week her parents tried to interfere again and take them elsewhere until I said it was not on. I also messaged her parents to let them know that they should not be trying to control things. That resulted in them contacting the police and basically accusations of harassment. Police did not take things further.However, I am just weary now that they will try and stop me from seeing them again. Currently they have to be involved in all childrens events at school with me the father being left out.Ages - 1 and 4


And just to check that you are on their birth certificates (I assume you are)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on both.


Well, the first step to resolving child related disputes is family mediation.

This is an attempt to keep decision making within the family arena and avoid having to go to court.

You will set out the contact that you would like and hopefully come out with agreement from the mother.

It's not enforceable by law though.

If you need more protection, you would need to apply to court for an order setting out the time that the boys spend with you, in a way protecting this as once contact is in an order, breaching the order is an offence.

plclegal and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you