Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have a 16 year old adopted son (I'm a single adopter) who

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a 16 year old adopted son (I'm a single adopter) who has a history of violence and abuse towards me - have had to call the police to our home several times over the last few years and have twice pressed charges for assault against him. Things came to a head in Nov following repeated threats to stab me and stamp on my head and he moved in with a birth cousin temporarily, to whom I have been paying £30 a week towards his food and I have continued to pay other costs such as haircut and travel directly. My son has mental health issues incl post traumatic stress indicators from early trauma + ADHD, and we have had lots of support from the (great) local post adoption team over the years. However, he now needs to move from his cousin’s, which is in a different county, and I refuse to have him back home (I believe situation will be worse and our relationship is very poor at the moment), but the local mainstream social services are essentially saying he needs to be back in our county for them to do a Child in Need Assessment and that it is my responsibility to ensure he is safe and housed, but I have nowhere to suggest he stays – the history of emotional abuse etc against me seems to be irrelevant. I need to understand what my legal rights and obligations are please re housing and financial support, what the local authority is obliged to do and any suggestions you might have to secure housing him in our County as he needs to be back here to continue to receive support from the local post adoption team.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, I have no idea how all these processes work
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I'm not sure it's a court issue. We're in Essex
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  MARCUS Malin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Do you still require assistance? I would be only too happy to help you.