Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My mother passed away and i looked after everything

My mother passed away and i looked after everything pertaining to her funeral, some costs were also paid directly by me. However her husband refuses to pay back the money I spent and is now demanding her death certificates and identification, which I assume he needs to access her accounts, as they were married do i have any rights as her daughter to at least claim back the money spent on her funeral?
Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I'm in the UK
Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have receipts of funeral director costs etc, and I am the named as the informant on the death certificate
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, do I have to give him the documents he is demanding?

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

1. Please accept my condolences for your loss. Could you tell me if your mother left a will?
  2. Do you know if your mother's estate is likely worth more than £250,000?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No will was left, that I know of and the estate would be far less than 250,000. However as I have not accessed her bank accounts at this point, and do not know if it would be legal to do so I have not checked.

Hello - I have tried to call you but am getting an engaged signal. I will try again in a few minutes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please try our landline instead***********

No problem