How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35447
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I have applied for child arrangement order after 7 yrs again

This answer was rated:

I have applied for child arrangement order after 7 yrs again when I had only indirect contact, tgat my ex didnt compled, son is 12 now have not seen him since age 2.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have married and 3 kids with new family , but cafcass gave a negative report saying about all old stuff that went through the court in past
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Peterborough county court
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The first hearing is on Thursday
What is your question
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am going as LIP on the first hearing how can I defend or present infront of the judge about the cafcass report as she has picked up all the historic things . I can send the copy of the report.

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. I can see that this has a complex history and I would certainly be of the view that you would be best served by being represented rather than as a litigant in person - I think that you will struggle without legal representation. That said it is a matter for you - you are going to have to ask the court for an opportunity to file a witness statement where you set out the reasons for the delay in this application and the history. The court are likely to also require a s.7 report in this matter. No final decisions will be made at the first hearing - it is to determine how things will progress - I have also attached a link to a great book which explains the court process -

If you would wish to be represented then please also seek a telephone call and I can try and help.

Please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is s7 report?

A section 7 report is a welfare report prepared by Cafcass (the book should really help). These are why I thought in a case such as your you may well be best served with representation. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am financially not sound at the moment hence the reason I am going lip . How much do you think it will cost me to represent for this case?

A barrister would costs about a grand plus VAT for the hearing. Its very difficult - there are usually 3 or 4 hearings. Please rate 5 stars

Thomas Judge and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you