How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3399
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I would like to ask a child maintenance question, yes, i am

This answer was rated:

hi - i would like to ask a child maintenance question
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: yes, i am divorced already
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: it has alreday been agreed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have 2 child from a previous relationship, i earn approx 275k a year, i have a new child in another relationship, how much child maintenance should i pay a month

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

OK. Have you been through the calculation on line to assess this:

It is a reliable indicator.

Ultimately the child maintenance service will make a full and more accurate calculation if necessary.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi - i earn £275 k and i believe that over £156k my ex partner can make an application for a top up from the court, do you know how the top up would be calculated?

Top up maintenance is via Schedule 1 of the Children Act via a court application, yes.

Applications are based on need, not just resources, and the court has to be satisfied that the circumstances of the case make it appropriate for the payer to pay more than the CMS maximum assessment.

School fees are an example of something that could fall into this category, for example.

In short there is no straightforward formula though, if the income bracket exceeds the maximum CMS calculation.

I hope this clarifies things?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you