plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Can my ex-wife ask for back payment of maintenance that I

Can my ex-wife ask for back payment of maintenance that I paid to her in a court order. We agreed between us a private agreement. There was a change in both of our circumstances over the past 12 years and neither of us informed the court of the changes. She also co-habited during that time. I just continued helping her financially when she needed help with the finances in connection with my children.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Our divorce settlement was filed at bow county court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have always been helping my children financially to this date. Most of the payments to my children have been paid to them by bank transfer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am I right in saying that my ex-wife voluntarily changed the court order by accepting payments from me when she needed help ? The money was given to her and sometimes directly to the children. This arrangement was agreed in 2006 and continued for 13 years. My ex is now stating that she didn’t receive any money from me since 2006 and she is now trying to claim £27,000.00 from me as back payment of maintenance. Can she do this and will it stand up in court ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am happy to wait for an answer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you please search again for an answer.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Can you set out roughly what you did pay, over the years?

Do you have evidence of the payments that you made (even if directly to your children)?

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have evidence of when I first started paying 12 years ago. Copies of cheques from my mums account. My children are all now adults and they will clarify the truth that I paid my ex money and agreed to pay for many things over the years, like football teams and clothing, karate training and boxing etc. When times were hard for my daughters I always gave them money over the years. I have some proof from bank statements.

Sorry - I was away from my desk momentarily when your call request came though.

Another lawyer has picked this up before I had the chance so now I am locked out of your request. I would expect that you will hear from them shortly.

Kind regards.