Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

We are selling our house because our mum passed away never

Hello there we are selling our house because our mum passed away never met my father but the solicitor needs devorce papers to gave it on our names her kids but we have lost the decree absolute and so have the courts anything we can do?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To put it on our names

Good morning and thank you for your question. You can obtain a copy of the decree absolute through a central search if the Court that issued the decree can no longer find the record. It would definitely have been logged centrally so they should be able to assist you.

If you visit this page it will tell you all about how to trace a decree absolute and how to order one from the central family court. I hope this information is useful. Unfortunately you will need to provide evidence that the divorce was finalised in order for the property to be transferred to you. If she was still married her husband would be entitled to receive assets from her estate which is why the solicitor has requested this proof.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi yes we did all that we've paid for it and everything at the central courts and they've told us they lost it and nothing they can do

How frustrating, I have never known this to be the case. Could you perhaps to get the Court to put this in writing to you for the acting solicitor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can ask and see if they can would it be enough for the probate?

It would certainly help, if they can confirm that the decree was in existence but has been lost this could be sufficient, however your solicitor may have to ask the Court to confirm that they are able to accept this as evidence that he divorced was finalised.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll call them now to find out hopefully because this is been going on for over a month

I would be most grateful if you could kindly provide a rating for me as this is how I am recognised for the assistance I give.

Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience: LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there so a written document fro. Courts saying the divorce has been finalized should be ok

Yes, your solicitor should be able to rely on that to then proceed with the distribution of your mum's estate.

If that fails there are companies who specifically locate documentation like this. We often use Title Research but there are many similar that would be able to to do this for a fee of course.