plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I thought you could help me. A brief summary of the issue I

Hi, I thought you could help me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: A brief summary of the issue I am looking for advice on:I split with my wife, a while ago (2017) and we are under divorce procedure.
We do have a Separation Agreement (12.2018), saying that my two kids (4 & 8) reside with my wife and I will pay the child maintenance.My wife gets the amount of £252 every month (it has been calculated via government calculator gov.uk per my income) and all of a sudden she decided to not giving me the kids clothes when they are staying with me (it wasn't a case before). The reason she gave is that she doesn’t want to pack stuff for kids every week. (I don’t understand this explanation)To explain, kids are with me four Fridays per month (overnight) and every second weekend (from Friday till late Sunday).She is trying, kind of, to force buying separate clothes set for them.
I provide for my kids and feel it doesn't seem right and most of all affects the children wellbeing.From what I understood, when I pay as a paying parent to receiving parent, the receiving parent (my wife) buying clothes for kids. Or maybe I misinterpreting?I would like to get a bit of advice on my rights.Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know what else is important
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am based in Edinburgh
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Happy to send my Separation Agreement if it helps

Hello, my name is*****'m a barrister and will do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

In general terms, as you both contribute towards the cost of the clothes, it would normally be expected that the children come to overnight contact with their clothes for the weekend.

It's not unusual for some items of clothing to be kept at yours, for example pajamas or a spare coat, but in general, and particularly as they only come fairly infrequently, to have a separate set of clothes would a) be a waste of money and b) not be in their interests - they will have favourite things that they will want to wear when they are both of you.

As long as, for example, you send the bag home with clean clothes as best you can(particularly after the full weekend contact), then there should be no objections.

I hope this assists?