How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6567
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My partner is polar and can be very difficult when she has

This answer was rated:

my partner is bi polar and can be very difficult when she has her episodes. We have recently had a baby boy and had an argument over literally nothing as is the usual case. Now she has kicked me out of the house saying I can't see my child which is devastating and blocked me on everything all because I have a job and she's at home with the baby. What can I do in this situation because as a man I feel helpless.
Assistant: What steps has your partner taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: None, this has literally just happened but is a common theme with her. My boy is only a month old but twice this has happened now.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your partner live in?
Customer: We both live in Chorley, Lancashire
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thankyou

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You can apply for a child arrangements order if your ex does not let you see your child. You will need to contact a local family mediator first before applying and you can do that here:

The mediator will do an assessment which is usually around £30 and then recommend a few follow up sessions. They should be able to tell you if you qualify for legal aid.

Once you have done that, you need to fill out form C100 (a copy of which is attached) and send 3 copies to the local family court centre. There will be a hearing after you send that form in and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215 payable to HMCTS (by cheque or over the phone if you ring your local family court centre). You can get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

The court will likely grant a child arrangements order if it would be in the child’s best interests. The courts encourage both parties to be involved in their child’s upbringing. Reasons why a court may refuse would be if there is a history of domestic violence or alcohol/substance abuse, or another reason why it would not be in the child’s best interests if a contact order were to be made.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you