How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1174
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

If my wife and I get divorced is she entitled to half of my

This answer was rated:

If my wife and I get divorced is she entitled to half of my Army pension ?

Hi, I’m Lea

Was the pension accrued during the marriage, before or a bit of both?

How long was the marriage? Any kids?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Lea
It was accrued in the marriage.
Have been married for 37 years
And have 2 kids all grown up and married.

Thank you.

Then yes, it will be taken into consideration as an asset of the marriage and may be divided. If there are sufificent assets to share without touching your pension, then that is also a prospect. If it is shared, it won't necessarily be at 50% each.

Please accept and rate positively so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is classed as sufficient assets ?

Kindly rate the response as it answers the question you asked.

SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will I have to pay maintenance as well ?

All I meant by sufficient assets was that if say the house was worth £200000 and your pension was worth the same, the court might give her the house and leave you with the pension.

It is extremely difficult, without full financial disclosure of both parties assets and debts, and what was accrued before, during or after the marriage, to give an accurate depiction of what you are likely to be able to achieve, and certainly that's not possible in an online forum - and certainly not for a £5 fee!