How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 813
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am currently going through a divorce and want to know

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am currently going through a divorce and want to know whether I have a financial responsibility for my step son. He is 16, I was married to the mother for 2.5 years and together for 9
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have filed for divorce. Unreasonable behaviour and false accusations
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Uk
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife has been awarded temporary occupancy rates to the home

Hello thank you for your query. Did you legally adopt your step son?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No need to call stay on line
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in wiltshire

Unless you have any parental responsibility for the child then you will not have financial responsibility for the child. The child's biological father will have the responsibility as he will (possibly) have parental rights. I hope this information helps you.

I would be very appreciative if you could click “accept” on this answer and give me a positive rating. This will let the website know that I have responded to your query. You can feel free to continue to ask more follow up questions if you feel this is necessary.

Thank you, ***** *****


*parental responsibility is obtained by being the child's biological father and being either married or on the birth certificate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does parental responsibility mean? He lived with me for 9 years but his mother took all decisions and I will not have a relationship with him going forward
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was married to his mother for 2 years

As a step parent the only way you would obtain parental responsibility would be if you legally adopted the child. The amount of time you were with the child's mother is irrelevant. Ultimately the child is not yours and you did not adopt so you have no financial responsibility.

If this has answered you question I would be obliged if you could "accept" the answer and leave a positive review so that the site knows it was myself who respond to your query. Thank you. However, if you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Ross Miller and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you