How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

Was with my partner 18 years not married have one son help

This answer was rated:

Was with my partner 18 years not married have one son help my partner build a business 16 years work on the accounts with no pay he has just ended the relationship and has left me with nothing was wondering if I am entitled to anything
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Did not know i could because we are not married
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Southeast london in forest hill
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes

Hello did you live together?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For 18 years and on 27 th June ended the relationship
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im left with nothing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just want to know if im entitled to anything he owns his own business which i help start and 16 years work un paid

I will revert to you shortly I will require a few minutes to put this together.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you

You would have been classed as cohabiting couple, this is not a common law marriage as they haven't existed in the Uk for a very long time, therefore you ex partner does not have any financial responsibility towards you. You also would not have any rights to his house or any of his assets, you would of course have a right to assets purchased as a couple. You technically do not have a claim to his property unless you have made a substantial financial contribution to this (such as paying for an extension). If you have worked for him and he has not paid you then you could made an application to the employment tribunal and claim for 2 years salary, notice payment etc however, you may find this challenging if you have never been paid, but there could potentially be a claim. Do you believe that you are owed anything by him financially?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well yes we lived together have a 17 year old son i have just found out that he has had an affair and intend to live with this women
But most of all i feel that all those years of working to build a successful business that i believe i should have some entitlement for all the hard work i put into the business
And our relationship

What is the business, is it a limited company or is he a sole trader.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He no longer lives with me
We own no property together
But he is the one who has had a affair cheated lied and i feel used
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its a limited company
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Security business in hatton garden

Thank you, ***** ***** still working for the company, were you ever paid and are you a named director of the company?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he arranged for the accounts to be taken and said he no longer needed me to do them
I have never had a wage
No im not a director
I work because we were at the time what i thought a happy couple /family

Also did you contribute to his mortgage payments.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No mortgage
We rented
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He paid the rent with company money
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He then proceeded to open another business in norfolk to do with boats but i have or had any involvement with that business

Ok thank you. Unfortunately, as you were not married and you were classed as a cohabiting couple, and you ex pattern has no financial responsibility to you. You may be entitled to child maintenance payments but you would have to take this up with the CMS. I can understand completely that it must be frustrating to know that you have no legal entitlement but this was because you were not married. If there had been property which you contributed to then you could have had a claim to part of that but as you rented this is sadly not the case. The only potential avenue could be that you take him to an employment tribunal for unfair dismal. However, you were not paid so you would have to do some calculations to put a value on what your contribution was instead of payment but an employment lawyer may be able to help with this. I sadly, which I could give you better new as I know this must seem unfair as the infidelity was on his part.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating. This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions.

Kind regards


Ross Miller and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just feel with the security business that we began 16 years ago and now the relationship has ended that by law after 18 years that something was owed to m

I am sorry and understand it must be highly frustrating. We, as advisors do not have any control over the payments on this service, however, I can set a premium serivce for $10 this would allow me to pass over my personal details to you and I would be happy to take on the employment work to see if you perhaps get some restitution this way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it is ok thank you

No problem I wish you the best of luck.