Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

Looking for some advice. Ex husband has just got married and

Hello there, looking for some advice. Ex husband has just got married and is buying a new home with his wife. He has stated that he wants our son (aged 3) every other weekend Friday to Sunday. He lives about an hour away from our son. His son goes to rugby every Saturday which he will not be able to do under the new arrangement. I’ve suggested that he collect our son after rugby so as not to upset the routine too much. He is saying I’m unreasonable. What is defined as reasonable access? He currently sees his son once a week alternate Saturdays and sundays
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Nothing, all between us
Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Can you be clear about his plan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Collect from nursery on a Friday, return to me on a Sunday. This is every other weekend

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. The court is not against allowing the non resident parents (the father in this case) alternate weekends which start at nursery/school until about 4pm on a Sunday. As such as frustrating as it maybe, even with travel of an hour it is likely that the court would agree to this arrangement. I have to help you further attached a link to a great book which explains the process - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Represent-Yourself-Family-Court-understanding/dp/147211910X

Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the court will go against an established routine with the child’s activities?

I am afraid it often will - because the law (and the book should help) puts the child's relationship with the non resident parent above such activities. Its incredibly frustrating - but this is what the court would do in such circumstances. Please rate 5 stars