How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1435
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My niece is leaving her abusive husband and taking her two

Customer Question

My niece is leaving her abusive husband and taking her two children aged 10 and 16 to a rented house. She has no money of her own. Is she entitled to ask for maintenance from him straight away through her solicitor?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No. She's still with him. She's leaving a week on Saturday and he's already making it difficult for her
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: Barnsley, South Yorkshire
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She works for his family's business. When she leaves him, they will probably sack her. So she wont have a wage. What recourse does she have in the short term?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How long has she worked for the family business, and in what capacity - i.e. is she a full time or part time employee paid a wage/salary?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 11 months ago.

Do you still require assistance with this?

If yes, please answer the additional questions.