How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2926
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have a Final Hearing for divorce on 23 October. But I've

Customer Question

I have a Final Hearing for divorce on 23 October. But I've run out of money and have no legal representation. However, in approx, 3 months I will get a tax free lump sum form my pension. I need to get the Final Hearing adjourned until I have a legal team on board otherwise I won't be represented. What is the best way to get the hearing adjourned?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: First appointment 13.9.18. Directorins hearing 1.2.19. All papers filed according to requirements eg From E's etc
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It was at Wandsworth family court but then transferred to the Central family court in Holborn but we've had to wait ten months for the hearing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer reply It has not been adjourned before
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 4 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, I would advise you phone or email the court and ask the court if they would consider a short adjournment of the final hearing for 3 months to allow you to have the funds for adequate legal representation. The court can then decide if they are minded to allow this. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.