Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I paid the mortgage to my marital home for 30 months but

Customer Question

I paid the mortgage to my marital home for 30 months but then I left 6 years ago, am I entitled to reclaim those mortgage payments from my still husband?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Christchurch Dorset uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t, it’s just friends have said to me how silly I was not to ask for that back.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have been separated for 6 years, I payed my wages into joint account to pay mortgage of £1200 a month
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband still lives in the same property.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 2 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, you would not be entitled to get those payments back as such though you could ask your ex. That said if you divorced the starting point would be you would be entitled to half the assets including the house therefore you could end up with more than you paid. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.