Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

The csa are chasing me for a 10 year old debt of just over

Customer Question

The csa are chasing me for a 10 year old debt of just over £1000 I have been paying £5 a month but they are still insisting on the full amount or they will take me to court , where do I stand
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No just letters back and forward for now I have been paying £5 a month since april
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in England my ex wife is in Scotland
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, generally speaking the CSA should not chase you for debts that are more than 2 years old. Therefore, you should ask them to confirm the basis on which they are chasing a debt more than 10 years old. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The fact is they are chasing me
I understand and as I’ve explained they shouldn’t be for any debt more than 2 years old. Therefore, you can: 1. Contact them and ask them why they are chasing you for a debt that is now too old for them to enforce 2. Renegotiate your payment plan with them increasing the payments to stop them taking enforcement which at your current repayment level of £5 a month it would take 16 years to repay the £1000 therefore they would likely want you to increase the payment significantly 3. Go to court and argue why you can’t pay more than £60 a year. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why should I renegotiate if I am not legally obliged to pay ?
which is exactly my point. As I’ve said you aren’t obliged to pay so you should speak to them, to which your response was the fact is they are chasing me, therefore, as I’ve said you have to speak to them to stop them chasing you. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How much would it cost for you to write to the csa/cma outline ing this
Hi thank you for your message, unfortunately I do not offer this service. If you wanted to hire a solicitor near you to do so I would envisage it would cost in the region of £40 but it could be more or less depending on the solicitor. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.