plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My son is going through a divorce and social services are

My son is going through a divorce and social services are involved. On Monday social services interviewed him and asked him if he had any criminal convictions. He had 1 eighteen years ago when he was a young stupid young man.. He pleaded guilty to Harassment alarm and distress. He received a Probation Order for 9 months with a conditiion he underaent a sexual rehabilitative course. He has not been in trouble since. Social services made him leave his house where he was living with his wife and 2 kids and he can have no contact with his 2 kids other than 1 phone call a day. Have Social Services got authority to do this as he is heartbroken and his kids want him home.Social services are investigating. Have we a right of appeal as it seems very heavy handed.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.

OK. This is odd.

I appreciate that SS have to look into concerns, but a minor conviction from 18 years ago is not grounds to prevent him from seeing his children.

SS have authority to act protectively if children are at risk of harm, but I just don't see it here.

Has his wife alleged any violence or domestic abuse? That could be the only reason why such draconian measures may be put in place.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Do you have a precedent that I can quote please.

I don't have a precedent, but it basic human rights principles - and the ECHR article 8 right to a family life.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
How long do aprobation Service keep files for this offence

Not for 18 years, certainly.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter