How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4483
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My ex wife is planning on emigrating to America with my two

This answer was rated:

Hello, my ex wife is planning on emigrating to America with my two children, 15 and 13. I am not planning on contesting this. Do I need to seek legal advice before giving my written consent?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

If you agree to the move then you don't need to do anything other than provide your written consent.

Are there proposals for contact for you and the children?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for responding. She has said I can visit them whenever I like and contact them by phone, text etc but nothing has been put formally into writing

OK, if you are happy with this arrangement then you are free to agree it.

I would suggest some form of minimum regular commitment for contact is recorded in writing just so the children know what to expect more than anything.

I hope that assists.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, but what do I do if she makes it hard for me to see them or communicate with them. Is there anything I can do to get a legally enforceable agreement

You can ask that you put the agreement into an agreed 'consent order' and then submit this to the family court for a judge to make it legally binding.

You need to write out the terms of the agreement (often best achieved via a session of family mediation as they will help with the wording etc, or you can complete this step yourselves) and then submit to court via form c100:

I hope this assists?

plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks.