Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I pay for my grandchild's school fees. The parents have

I pay for my grandchild's school fees. The parents have taken a decision which has resulted in my losing 50% of the refundable deposit. Neither the school or the parents warned me that this was going to happen. Did the school have any duty to involve me in the decision? If so can I demand my 50% back?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have written to the school to demand the money back, but they merely say that all the arrangements were made with the parents.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Hampshiore
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much this will cost.
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: I need to talk to someone who understands British law. Your prices are in dollars.

Why are you suggesting that the parents owed you a duty of care?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I'm not. I'm asking if the school had a duty of care

The school do not generally owe you a duty of care with respect to the decisions made by your children as to the school fees. If there is anyone to blame then it is your children and you would potentially have a claim aghast them.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Ok thank you. No need to call. Goodbye

My pleasure.