How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John LLB Your Own Question
John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 832
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John LLB is online now

My Son has a 18 month old daughter who we have both has

This answer was rated:

My Son has a 18 month old daughter who we have both has regularly contact with. Unfortunately my Son and his girlfriend have separated, therefore, she is refusing us contact. Also she has refused my parents (child's great grandparents) contact also. What can we do?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet as we don't know how to go about it. This is why I'm emailing you now
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yes I know our magistrates Court, Carlisle, Cumbria...
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My Son just wants to be a Father to his daughter as he m

He will need to see a lawyer, and then go to mediation to have access to the kid, if mediation fails then court. Is he named on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah he is on birth certificate. Mediation hasn't worked.

If the matter cannot be resolved via mediation, then your son needs to apply for a court order to have access to the child. The child’s best interest will always be at the heart of any decision the court makes. I have attached guidance for you to take a look through.

Your son will need to complete C100 court form (which I have attached) and send the original and 3 copies of it to the nearest court. It costs £215 to apply for a court order. He may be able to get help with court fees if he is on benefits or a low income.

The following site will also prove useful for you and your son to take a look at

But all in all, please see a family solicitor to assist with the court order. He has parental responsibility as he is named on the birth certificate so he will have certain rights and entitlements.

I hope this assists you. Kindly take a moment to provide a positive rating for me by clicking the stars at the top, I would be grateful, and wish you all the best. John.

John LLB and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you