How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5977
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My partner has been having trouble with his ex wife. She is

This answer was rated:

Hi, my partner has been having trouble with his ex wife. She is accusing him of abuse. Physical and emotional. She has posted her story on social media. Now, in actual fact it was her who became physical after drinking alcohol, and she would drink alot. It is her who has been arrested for abuse to him. People are seeing the post over the last 2 days and it has already had an impact on not only his mental state but his business. Is there anything we can do. She is posting through a group designed for abused women. She is really active with these groups at the moment. We were fine with her doing what she needed to do within these groups. But now she is spreading lies to the community that he lives in. It's also had an effect on his daughter, who is not her daughter. Parents don't want their child around her father.
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No steps on this matter as of yet. The court is set up to discuss financial aspect. He has money and properties along with his business. She is trying to take it.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: I'm not speaking to anyone am I.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We live in South Wales UK.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

I'm just reviewing your question.

OK. This is potentially a defamation issue. But I'll be honest and say that defamation is a difficult action to bring, and as cases have to be brought in the high court, they can be costly.

What I suggest is twofold -

1. As this is a form of harassment, he could report it to the police.

2. He should consider instructing a solicitor to write a "cease and desist" letter to her, outlining the seriousness of the consequences and the possible legal claims if she does so.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I shall take these steps first.
At this point the cost is of no importance. Thank you for you assistance.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you