How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3891
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have a dispute with an ex partner over belongings I said

Customer Question

Hi I have a dispute with an ex partner over belongings I said he can have his when I receive mine but he involved the police and they took his stuff but to get my stuff it’s a civil mattter so how come they took his if it’s civil
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sussex England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing as I felt intimidated by the officer and felt I had no choice but to hand over his stuff but I feel this was misleading
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s it just if it’s a civil matter did the police have the right to do what they did and can I get the items back from the station they are being held
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

The police can attend a property if there is a dispute over belongings in the breakdown of the relationship in order to prevent a breach of the peace.

They cant force you to hand over belongings but they can suggest that it might be a good idea, of course.

The same should apply to you though, if you have belongings that are yours that he is not returning.

But as I said, you can't be forced to hand items over as the police will not determine a dispute about ownership, this is a matter for the civil courts.

Can I clarify anything?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

I'm sorry I don't understand the response - you have typed "cfhh" and nothing else?

Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

My advice would be to pursue this via a solicitor's letter, suggesting that you reach agreement over the division of property rather than have to pursue it through the courts, which could become costly.

You can find a local solicitor here:

I hope this assists?

Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,