How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5137
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I've just asked if my son's, daughter's doctor is legally

This answer was rated:

Hi I've just asked if my son's, daughter's doctor is legally obligated to provide him with any treatment she has had or illness

Hello, and thanks for the additional question.

Your son is entitled to his child's medical records. The surgery should not refuse this access as if he has parental responsibility he is entitled to be involved not only in important decisions about his daughter's health but also to be a point of contact for the surgery.

He may have to verify his identity first, for obvious reasons, but the records should not be withheld.

I hope this assists.

Hello - did you receive my reply?

Can I assist you further with your question?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have now forwarded doctors details to my son. But the mother of his child is still point blank refusing to allow access. What should he do next.



Do you have my earlier reply with the information about how to apply to court for contact?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you resend it please, I'm having problems accessing some of my messages


Mediation normally has to be the first point of call as it is a legal requirement prior to issuing an application in the family court.

The process is started by booking a mediation assessment appointment - see here for a link to find a local mediator: Assessments are usually around £30-£40, and the mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required. However if he does not have contact details for his ex then this will possibly not work - but as before he should contact her solicitors to try to arrange.

If the mediation does not succeed in a successful resolution, or cannot be progressed, he can apply to the family court for a child arrangements order, setting out the living arrangements and contact arrangements that he would like to see.

This is on form c100:

To apply he should send 3 copies of this form to the local family court centre. There will be a court hearing after sending the form in and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215.00, and he can represent himself so he doesn't need to engage a lawyer.

He can possibly get a fee exemption if he is on low income/have low savings.

He would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

I hope this assists.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My son is going to attempt a final request to try and come to an amicable arrangement for access to his daughter. Can you advise how this should be worded to her solicitor


Of course - it does not have to be detailed.

He just needs to set out the contact times he proposes, the arrangements for handover etc that he proposes and ask for a response within 7 days.

Keep it limited to the proposal, don't deal with any of the other issues, unless relevant.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure.