plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Sorry its about pensions, 70, I want to know who is entitled

Customer Question

sorry its about pensions
JA: What is your current age and retirement age?
Customer: 70
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know who is entitled to my ex husbands pensions if I outlive him ? Myself who was married to him for 37 years or his new wife married for 2 years?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

You should have a claim on his pension based on the years that you were married. This will not be wiped out by the new wife of 2 years. Did you have a financial order when you divorced? Also, to double check, have you also remarried?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Morning Peter, no I did not have a financial order when we divorced, there was a lot of fear on my part when we divorced and was just relieved to have the divorce, no I have not remarried and am quite sure I won't again.
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

OK. Then you should consider applying for a pension sharing order in that case.

It may be easier for you to have a solicitor do this for you, on your behalf, if you do not feel comfortable approaching your ex husband yourself.

You can find a solicitor that works in this area via the link here:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I hope this assists, and do let me know if you have further questions?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter