How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 14690
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My partner and I are expecting a baby at the end of March

Customer Question

Hello,My partner and I are expecting a baby at the end of March 2020. We are both from the Netherlands, I currently have settled status and my partner as pre-settled status as he has been in the UK since 2015. We are planning to have a civil partnership agreement done in the Netherlands before the baby will be born. This will ensure that my partner has the same parental rights I have in the Netherlands.Could you explain how this works in the UK, as at the moment civil partnership is not recognised for not same sex couples. From what I read online this is supposed to change from December this year, but there is no further information. Should we translate our Dutch civil partnership in some sort of a will here, stating that my partner is the father of the baby and that we share all parental responsibilities or are there other ways to do this?Many thanks,
Saskia Hagenaars & Jan van Dijke
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

I cannot deal with immigration/residential status/Brexit issues for you but I can tell you how to deal with parental responsibility for the child.

It is absolutely straightforward and it doesn’t matter whether you are married, not married, or in a civil partnership although you are quite right, it is not possible to have a civil partnership for heterosexual couples. There is a big argument which says that is sex discrimination and that heterosexual couples should be able to have a civil partnership but it depends whether you want to start making new law!

If you both want parental responsibility for the child, then all you do is make sure that the father is also named on the birth certificate as the father. It will be necessary for the father to attend the register office at the time of registration of the birth.

In English law having the father’s name on the birth certificate (or a couple being married) confers responsibility on any children of the couple.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.