How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5486
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

How do you charge please? I'm in Somerset. Its about a

This answer was rated:

Hello. How do you charge please?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Somerset. Its about a bankrupt order - I want to challenge it.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The order was made. On the basis of a debt that was joint and several and in my divorce the judge ordered that my ex-husband should pay it. He refused - so I was made bankrupt. I have ptsd and could not deal with going into court.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm concerned about costs for this advice?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please do not post any of this information/question or my email or anything.

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok that's fine.

OK - ref the call - I can pick this up for you but it will be a little later on, I have a couple of other matters to deal with first.

How much was the debt, and did the divorce court order clearly state that he should discharge it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

It was £60,000. The court definitely said that my ex-husband should pay it - on his father's behalf. It was on the judge's Final Order. My accountant brought this to the attention of the creditor's agents (in writing) when the petition was presented. They proceeded in any event.

I emailed the divorce judge through his clerk to advise of the events. His clerk told me to make an application to the court on notice to go before him again. I could not face being in court with my ex husband again. He was physically very abusive and had made text death threats. I was subsequently told that I was bankrupt.

The solicitors acting for me in the divorce were matrimonial. My ex husband's lawyers (and Counsel) were all fraud lawyers. It was a hopeless contest. My husband accused me of trying to poison him, defraud him, sign documents without his knowledge and more. He involved the police and I lived for 18 months with him telling the world that I was going to prison for fraud. He has destroyed my life. The court found against him on these issues.

The bankrupsy involves the joint and several debt (£60,000) plus fees payable to my solicitors (£132,000) over and above the fees quoted (£300,000). They say I owe them this and are joined in the bankrupsy. In addition, my electricy bill (which was paid on DD) is involved. I had no bank debt, no credit cards.

My reputation and business has been destroyed. I am a nervous wreck and on drugs for the mental health issues. I am suicidal most of the time. I have a daughter at university (just started) and don't know if I will be allowed to support her.

Apologies for the delay in responding, I've had a lot on this evening.

My view is that the only way to effectively resolve this is through an application to enforce the order.

It does mean going back to court, but the order has been very clearly flouted here.

The application should succeed on the facts alone.

I do think you may need to appoint a lawyer to deal with this though, rather than have to go through the steps yourself.

Do you now feel that you could go back to court, if there is not another option?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello - thanks for this. No I couldn't.

Please will you ensure that this log does not appear online anywhere. I am constantly anxious and in fear of him. Please confirm that you will do this.

Thank you.

I will of course ask that this is not published.

I'm sorry for everything you have been through, and am equally sorry that the only route to redress does involve lawyers and further litigation.

If you have any questions - please come back to me. I'll always do my best to help.

If you could just also take a second to give a rating for me I'd be grateful as this is the only way I am credited for my time.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you