plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My partners wife asked him to leave the family home over 3

My partners wife asked him to leave the family home over 3 years ago as she did not want him in her life anymore. She is still living in the marital home with their 3 children, twins aged 22 - both working and a 16 year old on college. He pays monthly maintenance for their 16 year old.
JA: What steps has your wife taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet. He is planning on visiting a lawyer within the next few weeks to start divorce proceedings. She has asked that he help pay for a new front door and some maintenance issues with her car that he bought her.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your wife live in?
Customer: yes we do know the location of our local family court.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She works full time with her own business, received working tax credit for their 16 year and receives carers allowance for the twins who have cystic fibrosis, , even though they are both working full time and paying her rent. My partner is in farming and works 6 months of the year, during the harvest period, as he is unable to find a full time position. In reality she earns more than him.

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you

OK, can you clarify what your question is? I do understand the factual position, as you present it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should he financially contribute towards the new front door and the repairs to her car. Is he legally obliged to? Bearing in mind when she asked him to
Leave that she wanted no financial help only maintainence for their son.

As I see it the property contributions can be reclaimed if unequal, when the divorce goes through.

She may try to make a claim against

As to he car - he should not contribute top the repairs in my view.

Child maintenance is payable by law.

Can I clarify anything at this stage?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don’t understand about the property contributions part

OK, apologies. If she has to contribute additional sums towards repairs etc, then this can be reflected in the divorce settlement.

It would be unusual for him to continue to repair a property that does not have the benefit of living in.

I hope this clears up the point?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes it does. Thank you for your help in this matter