How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1123
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I split up with my ex last April, we are married with 2

This answer was rated:

I split up with my ex last April, we are married with 2 children and have a marital home. In October my Father wrote his will, and passed away in December. He left me his home which has now been transfered into my name. My ex has sdvised she is petitioning for divorce, can she make any claim to the home which I have inherited?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,


please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Yes I am still looking for help with this.

Hello thank you for the information. The answer in short is no, inherited property is not automatically marital assets therefore they do not have any automatic entitlement to it. However, as with everything in law, there can always be caveats to this, however from the way you have describe this then I don't think you will have too much issue. However to ensure that you keep everything right then I would ensure that you hire legal representation. The only assests that are automatically marital assets are those which were obtained during the period of marriage inclusive of pensions, property etc. However, if these stretch throughout and beyond the marriage then they require to be apportioned.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;


I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards



Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1123
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Ross Miller and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you