Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I split up with my ex last April, we are married with 2

I split up with my ex last April, we are married with 2 children and have a marital home. In October my Father wrote his will, and passed away in December. He left me his home which has now been transfered into my name. My ex has sdvised she is petitioning for divorce, can she make any claim to the home which I have inherited?

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Yes I am still looking for help with this.

Hello thank you for the information. The answer in short is no, inherited property is not automatically marital assets therefore they do not have any automatic entitlement to it. However, as with everything in law, there can always be caveats to this, however from the way you have describe this then I don't think you will have too much issue. However to ensure that you keep everything right then I would ensure that you hire legal representation. The only assests that are automatically marital assets are those which were obtained during the period of marriage inclusive of pensions, property etc. However, if these stretch throughout and beyond the marriage then they require to be apportioned.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Ross Miller,
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions