Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Can social services force me to leave my partner with a

Customer Question

Can social services force me to leave my partner with a mental illness we don't live together an the kids haven't seen or heard any arguments, my partner is now getting help and treatment. Any advice would be great thanks.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Social servics came out done assement, told me if I didn't leave my partner I would lose the kids and if we ever got back together later on they find out it will happen. My partner would never hurt anybody else
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Northern Ireland. Nothing about court has been mentioned
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically want advice if they can do this especially when the kids have never seen anything my partner has bad temper but does not violent and is getting help by different professionals.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Northern Ireland law please.
Expert:  lrizos replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Expert:  lrizos replied 14 days ago.

I will pass this on

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Surely they can't do that are they not supposed to help families in this situation an especially if there's no harm to the kids or anyone else? Partner would rather punch a wall than harm another.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, they cannot force you to do anything but they can say that if you continue a relationship with this individual we will apply to court for your kids to be placed into care and we will make the point to the court that you continued in a relationship with this person when you were told not to for the sake of the children. You can then argue they were wrong to make that assessment and the court will decide but they could side with social services and take the children. Ultimately therefore, you need to ask yourself do you want to risk losing your kids for this relationship? I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Even tho the kids be with their dad half of the time. Was to see where ID stand when my partner has been in treatment for a while would the situation still be the same

Hi thank you for your relationship, if you believe the circumstances have changed then you can work with social services to see if they will review their position. They will not be looking to be deliberately provocative or difficult therefore, you should work with them and this could help to alleviate the tension. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks, obviously I would be keeping my partner an kids apart until there has been a good amount of treatment done an doctors do another assesment to make sure the treatment is working.

The options I got was stay clear from ur partner now an in the future also even tho kids haven't been involved nor witnessed anything so therefore I just cant understand any of it. Yes social has a duty of care but I don't agree with this.

Hi thank you for your message, I understand your concerns however, it seems that social services have concerns and therefore the only way to move forward is to try and get them to change their minds. I hope this helps and would appreciate if you could rate me 5 stars in the top right of your screen and then Just Answer will credit me for my time.