plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Since my partner and I split up in November 2016 we have had

Customer Question

Since my partner and I split up in November 2016 we have had an arrangement for the care of our two children whereby I have had them for the whole weekend from Friday every single week. It has been agreed that we share costs like clothing, outings etc. Although I see my ex (or her father) every weekend for this changeover I have suddenly received a letter from the CMS giving bank details for my ex for me to pay money in. The children are aged 4 and 6 and I am named as father on the birth certificate but over the past couple of years things my ex has said has made me question the paternity of the youngest. I have never taken steps like getting a DNA test done as I have formed a bond with the child and would not wish to upset the arrangements whereby the brothers are part of my extended family. What are my options? I need to speak to the CMS today. Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, nothing, we have always had this arrangement in place as agreed between us. The letter from the CMS has come out of the blue. The first letter gives 'contact details' for my ex which I simply did not understand - I see her every week. The second says I must respond by tomorrow.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Essex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only anything you would suggest as relevant?
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

What is the demand for and is this in line with what you have been paying previously? Did you have an informal agreement that was working well regarding maintenance? If so, you can notify the CMS that you have a family based arrangement and there is no need for the CMS to be involved.

If the demand is for more than you have been paying, and you wish to dispute it, then you can also do this.

If you wish to challenge the paternity of one of the boys, then you would need to make a court application for this.

Is there anything in particular I can clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The letter appears to be asking for information in order to 'calculate your child maintenance as quickly as possible' and request that I telephone them. I do not pay any money directly, the arrangement has always been that I have the children every weekend - feed, clothe them, treat them etc. and this plus the petrol is a large outlay for me which my ex is well aware of. I am currently paying off a large credit card debt and everyone is aware that if I have extra expenses it will seriously impact on how often I can have the children. Every weekend has suited my ex because her parents look after the children in the week and she has every weekend free. I would like clarification on whether any of this is relevant to the CMS plus if I feel pushed to challenge the paternity what is the first step? Do I get a DNA test done and then go to the court when I have the result? And if I am not the father does that remove any monetary liability? What if I have already received demands and started paying by then? Also I presume that I would have no contact rights with the youngest child but splitting them for visits would be hard on them and something I would wish to avoid.
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

OK. The two issues are separate, of course.

Firstly with the CMS, if you share care of the children (by having them every weekend this is almost completely shared care) and provide over and above this already, then I would suggest that by relaying this information to the CMS they would advise that there is no liability at the current time. I would advise to make it clear that you share their care equally and already have a 'family based' arrangement in place, therefore there is no need for the CMS to be involved at this time.

I'd advise not to go into the credit card debt issue - it isn't relevant to the CMS and actually just clouds the issues.

This would hopefully resolve the CMS point.

As to DNA testing - the only way to get this is by a court order if your ex won't agree. But simply proving that. child is not yours biologically would not be the end of a relationship and contact with them, as contact is always in the children's best interests and could continue as before, it is just the legal obligation to provide financial support for the child that would change.

I hope this makes sense?

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello.

I didn’t receive confirmation that you received my response to your question.

Was there anything that needed clarifying at all?

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had to speak to the CMS agent before getting this response so followed the call with a letter making the points you outlined. No response to the letter and simply got a letter from CMS stating how much I had to pay for both boys. They had taken no note of my points, no note about my other son I am responsible for, no reference to the DNA test I asked for. I phoned CMS again and said I wanted this referred to the Complaints Resolution Team especially as the Government website specifies no calculation should be made whilst the DNA testing is being done. They said they had no note of my letter and couldn't refer it to complaints, my other son is not on their system can I give them his national insurance number (I believe he doesn't get an NI number until he is 16 + he is 8!) How do I deal with these people it is like banging my head against a wall?
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry this has not been resolved yet.

There are firms that specialise in dealing with the CMS. You may want to give one a try - such as this one here: www.nacsa.co.uk

They offer various levels of support/ service and will deal with the CMS on your behalf.

We are limited as to what we can do here, besides give general advice.

I hope this helps?

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

This is just a quick message to ask if you have time to provide a rating for me, as this is what will credit me for my time responding to your question.

Obviously a positive (4* or 5*) rating would reflect best on my efforts to resolve your question for you!

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 months ago.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 months ago.

Good evening. I didn't hear back from you - I'm just checking in to see if I can assist further at this stage?