How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 23327
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My partner does not want to pay for any utility bills in the

Customer Question

Hi, my partner does not want to pay for any utility bills in the home and expects me to pay for all children’s expenses equally. I own the house solely and pay the mortgage solely. How can I go about ensuring that she also contribute towards the utility bills in the home?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.

This is an extremely difficult one. In a nutshell, you can’t. If she doesn’t want to pay, there is no court order that will make a play and your only remedy is to get her to leave provided the house is not in joint names although I accept that may not be an option because you have children and the children would not want to be without their mother.

If she leaves and takes the children with her, you would be obliged to pay child maintenance or if you left the children were with you, she would have to pay it.

The question is more common than you would expect in the really isn’t a solution I’m afraid except as I said earlier.