Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

L have a child arrangement order in place which states my 9

My name is Ady ************ l have a child arrangement order in place which states my 9 Yr old daughter live with me, this was from the age of 5, l remarried last year and l am in a high risk job therefore l would like t Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court? Customer: No, she is only 9, l would like my wife to have more responsibility over her and would love for my wife to adopt her, also we are thinking about moving abroad in the near future, l know not of her mother's whereabouts or phone number and my daughter hasn't seen her for nearly 2 years and doesn't want to see her due to the violent relationship she is in. What steps do l take please? Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in? Customer: The court is in Peterborough and the ex lives somewhere in Cambridgeshire. Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: Not really thanks

Hi thank you for your message, so your wife if she agrees to adopt your daughter will become legally the mother's child and it will be as if she was your wife's child from birth. Therefore, this is not a step to be ta***** *****ghtly and as you will appreciate there is a number of steps to go through because of this. The first step is to inform the local council that your wife wishes to adopt her step daughter. You must do this at least 3 months before applying to a court for an adoption order.

The process to adopt is similar to an assessment through an adoption agency. The assessment is used to help a court decide if you can adopt the child (rather than being sent to an independent adoption panel). The court will ask your local council to provide a report on:

• your partner
  • the child
  • the other birth parent

The report will be prepared by a social worker and will be used to help the court make a decision. If granted, the adoption court order gives you parental responsibility for the child - along with your spouse or partner. The order also takes away parental responsibility from the child’s other birth parent in this the mother. An adoption order cancels any other type of court order, such as how and when the child’s birth parent can visit the child. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What legal right do l have to move out of the country with my wife and daughter?

Hi thank you for your message, at the moment you would need a court or permission from the birth mother. That said, if your wife adopts your daughter then the birth mother's rights are terminated and you can move freely. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.