Leyla Shahin-Mehrube
Leyla Shahin-Mehrube,
Experience:  Family Solicitor at WLH Solicitors
11825576

I bought a house with my partner 20 years ago...she cheated

Customer Question

I bought a house with my partner 20 years ago...she cheated on me so I divorced her...she wasnt working and I paid the mortgage which both our names are ***** ***** divorce she gave up our 2 boys and I bought them up in the house..the judge gave her 40 % of the house...I did not sell the house I carried on living there and paying the mortgage...I am really financially struggling and have had 2 heart attacks an am of ill health so had to retire...I'd like to sell the house and maybe buy a smaller bungalow..of course my ex is refusing to take her name off so I can sell it as she is pretty sure that she is entitled to 40% even though she has not paid a penny towards me or her boys..is there a chance that she is wrong and shes not owed 40% off my life hard work
Expert:  Leyla Shahin-Mehrube replied 5 days ago.
Hello, I assume you have a financial consent order and that is why the judge spilt the assets 60/40. What does the consent order say?