How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1528
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

If I divorce am I supposed to support my x-wife? No, Cork, I

Customer Question

If I divorce am I supposed to support my x-wife?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Cork
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am leaving her the family home
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 months ago.
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 months ago.
It is not automatic that a wife receives maintainable from an ex husband. This is subject to an application being made and the court ordering an ex husband to pay is usually decided on a means basis.The fact of you leaving her the matrimonial home May used by you as a means of negotiating not to pay her maintenance. I would strongly recommend however that whatever is agreed is filed in court by way of a consent/clean break order. This is important so as to prevent your ex making an application in the future for maintenance.I hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.All the bestRL