ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

If I divorce am I supposed to support my x-wife? No, Cork, I

Customer Question

If I divorce am I supposed to support my x-wife?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Cork
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am leaving her the family home
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.
It is not automatic that a wife receives maintainable from an ex husband. This is subject to an application being made and the court ordering an ex husband to pay is usually decided on a means basis.

The fact of you leaving her the matrimonial home May used by you as a means of negotiating not to pay her maintenance. I would strongly recommend however that whatever is agreed is filed in court by way of a consent/clean break order. This is important so as to prevent your ex making an application in the future for maintenance.

I hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best

RL